MASSACHUSETTS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SITUATIONAL AWARENESS STATEMENT
FEBRUARY 11, 2014 09:00 AM
FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE:
A winter storm will affect southern New England Thursday into Thursday night. Latest guidance is trending for a storm track closer to the coast which means the heaviest snow accumulation would be in the interior, with snow changing to rain near the coast.
- Snow likely developing along the south coast toward daybreak Thursday, then spreading northward during the morning.
- The beginning of the Thursday morning commute should not be affected but the end of the commute will likely have some impact, especially south of the Mass pike.
- Snow changing to rain along and east of the I-95 corridor Thursday afternoon but sooner on the Cape and Islands. A period of heavy snow possible before the changeover.
- Precipitation likely remains all snow west of the I-95 corridor.
- Heaviest snowfall Thursday afternoon and evening across western and central MA, where a significant impact to the Thursday evening commute is likely.
- Rain changing back to snow overnight Thursday night along and east of the I-95 corridor before ending. Minor additional accumulation possible.
- Potential for snow amounts of 6 to 12 inches across western and central MA.
- Potential for up to 6 inches along and just west of the I-95 corridor with lesser amounts to the south and east.
- Heavy, wet consistency to the snowfall.
- Northeast wind gusts to 50 mph possible along the coast.
- Strongest winds Thursday afternoon along the south coast and late Thursday and Thursdayevening across eastern MA.
- Astronomical tides are low but a 2 foot surge and seas up to 15 feet offshore may result in minor coastal flooding along east facing shorelines in eastern MA during the Thursday night high tide (around 11 pm).
MEMA’s Emergency Operations Center is currently at Level I (Steady State/Monitoring). MEMAcontinues to monitor the situation and will provide updates as necessary.
To receive emergency notifications and information from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency and the National Weather Service on your Android or iPhone, download MEMA’s emergency alerting app Ping4Alerts!. For further information and detailed download instructions, visit www.mass.gov/mema/mobileapp.